The Civic Engagement Graduate Fellows program at Rutgers University–Camden connects emerging scholars with engaged faculty across disciplines to support engaged learning and civic development among undergraduates.
Rutgers University–Camden is open and operating. The spring semester combines a majority of remotely delivered instruction with a limited number of face-to-face classes. In-person events are canceled until further notice. Use the My Campus Pass app before coming to campus and remember the three Ws: Watch Your Distance, Wash Your Hands, Wear Your Face Covering.
About the Program
The Civic Engagement Graduate Fellows program is a selective graduate teaching fellowship that connects emerging scholars with engaged faculty across the disciplines to support engaged learning and civic development among undergraduates. Organized by the Office of the Civic Engagement, the program seeks to enhance engaged civic learning courses taught by Civic Engagement Faculty Fellows, support community partners served by these engaged civic learning courses, and to provide professional development to graduate students interested in the pedagogy of engaged civic learning, a teaching and learning practice which intentionally matches college students with community organizations in roles that foster the student’s learning and provide tangible benefits for the community organizations.
As part of his or her participation in the Civic Engagement Graduate Fellows, each member of the program will:
- Be matched with a faculty member teaching an engaged civic learning course, and will spend two-to-four hours per week providing support for that course;
- Spend two-to-four hours per week participating in a civic engagement project directly related to their field of study; this project will be approved in advance by the program coordinator for engaged civic learning;
- Invest at least two hours per week distributing and/or entering data for the Office of Civic Engagement’s engaged civic learning survey.
In exchange for their work, Civic Engagement Graduate Fellows will receive the following:
- $1,000 per semester to support their graduate studies at Rutgers–Camden;
- Mentorship from engaged faculty to support their professional development, including opportunities to interact with faculty as colleagues;
- The opportunity to participate in the two-day Civic Engagement Faculty Fellows Course Design Institute and develop or redesign new courses side-by-side with faculty from a range of disciplines.