Rutgers–Camden Civic Scholars is a learning community of select students who make a substantial commitment to civic engagement in our host city and region.
Rutgers University–Camden is open and operating. The fall semester will combine a majority of remotely delivered instruction with limited in-person instruction. Some services are available for face-to-face delivery.
- Annual service commitment of 300 hours (70 percent direct service, 20 percent training and enrichment, and 10 percent fundraising)
- Planning of and participation in the Martin Luther King Day of Service
- Participation in regular meetings and leadership development trainings
- Invitation to regional and national student conferences
- Rutgers–Camden Scholarship
- AmeriCorps Education Award
- Internship opportunities
- Federal Work Study eligible
Unique Educational Experiences
Civic Scholars participate in special learning opportunities inside and outside the classroom, leadership development, and hands-on service. Students have access to unique educational experiences including:
- Connecting academics with intensive service experience.
- Encouraging development of leadership and professional skills.
- Building strong partnerships between Rutgers–Camden and communities beyond our campus.
- Achieving intimate knowledge of social issues through service.
- Engaging fellow students and peers in service and volunteerism.
- Vigorous capacity-building service opportunities such as:
- volunteer management;
- program development;
- communications; and
- policy and community-based research.
application for 2020-2021
We are accepting applications for the next academic year.
Since its inception in 2011, the Civic Scholars program has partnered with more than 30 organizations in Camden on a wide variety of projects and initiatives, involving issues such as health care, homeless outreach, education, college access, and urban environmental justice. Civic Scholars are campus leaders in engaging their peers in service and connecting with community-based organizations.