I am interested in taking courses as a visiting student. How do I apply?

Students who are/have been matriculated at another college or university and wish to take courses at Rutgers to transfer back to their home institution should apply for non-degree study using our application for undergraduate admission. The application fee as well as official high school and college transcripts will be required. You must be in good standing at your current or most recent school.

I plan on transferring to Rutgers but need assistance with course selection at my current school. Is there someone that can help me with this?

You may consult the course catalog if you plan to transfer to Rutgers University and need assistance with course selection at your current institution. The catalog will provide you with information regarding all of the academic programs at Rutgers University. You will want to take academic courses similar to those taken by Rutgers students.

If you plan to transfer to Rutgers from one of the New Jersey county colleges, you should consult the New Jersey Transfer web site. This site enables NJ county college students to view Recommended Transfer Programs (RTP) for the first two years of each Rutgers major and assess the transferability of the courses they are completing at their county college.

Can I visit the admissions office and have my college transcript evaluated for transfer credit?

No. While you may see a counselor at your request, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions does not conduct credit evaluations. The advanced standing granted to a transfer student is determined by an official evaluation of courses by the dean of the college/school at which the student will enroll. This evaluation takes place after the student has accepted an offer of admission. In general, credit is granted for academic courses taken at accredited colleges and universities and which are the equivalent of courses offered by Rutgers University, provided a grade of at least a "C" has been earned.

Do transfer students need to submit a high school transcript?

Yes. Transfer students must also demonstrate completion of our specific high school entrance requirements.

Can transfer students defer admission?

Transfer students are not eligible for deferrals of admission, unless they are called to serve as members of the U.S. armed forces.

Will you wait to receive my current semester's grades before making a decision on my application?

No. We will review your application with your grades for all courses completed by the application date. Because the grades for your courses in progress may not be available until we have concluded the review of applications, we cannot guarantee our ability to wait for them.

I owe money to my previous school, so I will not be able to have an official transcript sent to Rutgers. Can I still apply?

We will not process a student's application if there is a financial hold on that student's college record(s). Academic records are required for our application review process, so students should resolve any financial holds on their academic records at other institutions before applying to Rutgers.

Are there programs that require an additional application process?

Students seeking admission to Social Work, the Institute for Effective Education Certificate Program, or RN to BS must complete additional steps to enter those programs.

Rutgers Near You

Looking to complete your Rutgers degree close to home? Look to Rutgers–Camden. We come to you at these convenient off-campus locations:

  • Atlantic Cape Community College
  • Brookdale Community College
  • Camden County College
  • Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst
  • Mercer County Community College
  • Raritan Valley Community College
  • Rowan College at Burlington County